You Are Reading

OUGD601: End of Module Evaluation

What skills have you developed through this module and how effectively do you think you have applied them?
My research skills have improved dramatically within this module as in previous years I have tended to use a selection of sources and craft my argument around that however this year I have really tied to look as a many sources as possible to both strengthen my argument as well provide myself with a range of perspectives that can help mould my own viewpoint. Through this my research skills using the library and the internet have significantly improved and I can now use these tools more efficiently to gain the knowledge that I need.

In addition to this I also think my writing skills have improved this year. In past years I have always been one to integrate my quotes within the text I am writing. However this year I have tried to include a range of different styles of quoting within my work such as using extended quotes as well paraphrasing the work of others. In regards to my writing skills I also think that having to write an extended piece of text has meant I have improved my skills in regards to structuring my argument in terms of paragraphs as well how to structure the text as a whole to make it flow.


What approaches to/methods of design production have you developed and how have they informed your design development process?
This has truly been a unique experience for myself in regards to how I think about designing user interface. within work I have produced in the past I principally look at existing trends and current work to influence how I design an interface. However within the module I have looked to academic research to influence how and why and interface should work and this has been an immensely rewarding experience and I believe i've developed a much better product as a result of this and a it's a product that is backed up by theory. This method of looking to user research before designing an interface is a way of working I hope to bring forth into my other projects and briefs.


What strengths can you identify in your work and how have/will you capitalise on these?
The main strength that I can see within my work is the production quality both the interface that I have designed as well as the website in which it sits both have high production values and are well finished. I will aim to capitalise on this in future my continuing to develop my skills within Photoshop as well as furthering my skills when building and developing websites. A strength that I also feel I have demonstrated within this module is my ability to look forward and produce a piece of design that is current but also presents ideas for the future.


What weaknesses can you identify in your work and how will you address these in the future?
The main weakness that I can see within my work is that I have created a range of mockup for my vision of what YouTube could become and these mockups have been crafted for all devices such as Televisions and iPhone however the nature of a website means I can't show all of this work and therefore I can only present a selected version of my concept. Furthermore on a website the mockups are still image this mock ups would be enhanced if they moved and showed how the user would interact with the interface. In the future I will try to build upon on this and use such software as After Effects to brings my ideas to life and make them move and feel more realistic.


Identify five things that you will do differently next time and what do you expect to gain from doing these?
  1. If I were to do this project again, I would definitely start my primary research a lot earlier, I started to collected primary research from October time however as I was contact high profile people no one ended up getting back to me. I therefore has little time to collect research that was of quality. I was lucky in that using the internet allowed me to collect primary research instantaneously. However has I began this process much earlier I would have been able to gain higher quality results.
  2. I would better time manage my time within this module so that I have more time to push my idea further than I already have done within this models. This would have meant that my project outcomes were more elaborate such as filming a video, which I have under estimated how long this would take and therefore I couldn't produce this.
  3. I would have liked to have gained my feedback on my practical project. As I had scheduled that I would begin my practical project over christmas and finish it this meant there was little opportunity for me to collect feedback. I made use of Facebook to specific surface feedback however taking my work to a critique would have provided myself with much stronger feedback. 
  4. If I were to do this module again I think I would like to seek collaboration for aspects of the practical which were beyond my skill set for example creating a video which I have no experience in an working with someone who does would have meant that I could have produced this within the allotted time. 
  5. If I were to do this brief again I also think I would have liked to allowed myself time to bring the product to life and make the design into a usable design through using such software as Quartz Composer this would have meant i'd have been able to text my designs to see if they actually work.
How would you grade yourself in the following areas;
Attendance: 5
Punctuality: 5
Motivation: 4
Commitment: 4
Quantity of work: 5
Quality of work: 4


Comments for this entry

Leave your comment

 

Copyright 2011 All rights reserved